Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Life's Work

I had started a family web site not too long ago.  I had dreams of it keeping us all connected as the kids all grew up and moved out and started lives of their own.  I had a family calender and a family blog - thinking that we could all post things to a community site that would store it all.  The problem was it didn't "take".  I was the only one there and it remained my own vision.  Part of publishing to a blog is that you are speaking TO someone.  At the other site, I was speaking mainly to myself, out loud in an empty room. 

So I am moving select posts here; ones that are generic enough for friends who wander over from facebook or catch me on the net somehow through a search engine.  This way, when my kids are ready to read what I write and leave behind for them - it will be out here.  I'll migrate the stuff I don't want lost from there, over to here.  While in a sense I'm still talking to an empty room, (not much in the way of comments here) I do so now with the front door open. 

So if you are there at the door, listening in on my day today, what follows is a re post from that other blog.  In fact, it's the very first post from that one.  I was stating my reasons for creating it in the first place. 

It's funny, I just caught myself the other day saying exactly this same thing to Lys.  It was ready to speak because I'd already articulated the thought here in this format.

I'm looking for finding creative ways to use what I know and help those around me - specifically a written record for my kids. I don't know how long God will give me with you guys. Right now I'm healthy (though overweight) and not on any long term medications. This is the only legacy I will be able to leave to you guys, you are my life's work. Leaving written or photographic records is my way of banking something for your future, by establishing a steady past (foundation) to build on.


The rest is up to you. Your choices, your reactions to the things you can't control... all of them will build options and limitations of your own making. You get the credit for what you do with what you are given. If you are successful, it will be because you made the choices and imagined your future with it's goals and dreams, not me


But your past? Your understanding of what common sense is? That is something I have been giving you from the start, intentional parenting, making you my highest priority and life's work.

No comments: