Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Flashing all afternoon!

Today was awesome! I spent the afternoon “flashing”, no it’s not what it sounds like.

It’s where someone gives a topic and then you spend the next hour blasting past your internal editors and spitting a story out onto paper. Afterwards, there is the commenting time when all who played along also give you an on the spot crit. First gut reactions on what worked and what didn’t.

Rarely do you get something that you want to do a quick clean up and send off to an editor, though it does happen.

Usually, when you are done, you have the start of something or the seed of something you can go back to and rewrite. The thrill of it of course is that everyone is doing it at the same time. You get instant feedback and know right away if you have written something that is going to make connections with people.

I am hopelessly addicted to this style of writing.

It allows me to write stories that are bite sized and refine them, making me a better writer; while still giving me a finished product that I can usher out the door and see if it can be published. I have had some success at this so far, and I am encouraged.

One day, I plan to finish the several novels that hide in my hindbrain and live half-lives in various states of done-ness on my hard drive.

So much to write, so little time!

1 comment:

JACK ARMY said...

I like the sound of "flashing." How did you get started doing it and who do you do it with?