Saturday, February 19, 2005

Oh to play like a child!

To my delight, my children have discovered “A Wrinkle in Time”. I found the video on sale and now my kids love reenacting scenes from it and using a “tesseract” as a method of transporting their imaginations from one place to another.

This story is the one that hooked me onto Sci Fi as a kid myself. I have been trying to get them interested in the book for a long while, but to no avail. Not until I found the video that is. My eldest has since finished all the books in the series and she drops hints to the younger ones about what happens to Meg and Charles Wallace in their future. I sit in the next room (like today) and hear them organize the game they will play. They have done it since they were tiny, taking spoons or even gummy bears and say “I will be the momma, you be the sweetheart” and off their imaginations would gallop into one fairy world after another.

My eldest is 11. She is just now over the last year or so separated herself from the younger ones to do “more grown up” things, like read books or draw for hours. But the younger ones still let their imaginations take them places that we learn to release as adults. Today even the 11 year old plays along.

I adore the way they play. I smile as I write this for now they have found a winding music box that they have inducted into their game as a prop. It’s one of those notched barrels that have tin prongs that play when you spin the handle.

Today the carpet is dry but barren of furniture. It is a wide-open place to romp. A new toy of sorts for them you could say. So while one plays the music box for sound effects to tesseract (teleport?) Two others are crawling across the floor as though they were scaling a building, I can’t help but to shake my head and be amazed at their creativity.

Right now, (after making a few posts at some boards I frequent) they are ready to go to the mall, and they are already creating a new game of spies, walkie talkies, a transistor radio, a bag of other gadgets a note pad of paper and they are set. Now they just need me to get off the computer so that I can go fulfill a promise. One week of clean bedrooms, and they get a treat – in this case a trip to the local mall to play in the kiddie corral. (see the entry about redoing the chore charts) They will duck behind and under the foam climbable sculptures while playing hide and seek. I will sit along the edges with the numbers of other parents waiting for family members to finish shopping while they pull kid watching duty.

Fun will be had by all.

Bye for now.

No comments: