Thursday, February 10, 2005

Of dirty desktops and busy days

Thursday, February 10, 2005



My desk is a mess! Post-it notes, wrappers from food ate while at my keyboard, cold cup of coffee from this morning, various sundry things I have pulled from the grip of a child and didn’t feel like walking across the house (hop gates) to put away. Receipts from paying the bills, catalogs, papers frisked from the backpacks of my children, paper scraps, a phonebook, ARGH! And underneath it? Dust. Dust that has eddied up into drifts that have started to clog computer keys, and coat a few sticky spots on my desk. I am ashamed and embarrassed. Now that I have given the world a view of it, am I sufficiently embarrassed enough to actually DO something about it?

Listen to me whine.

It’s several hours later now. I have spent the entire day running loops around town. I went to two different schools to pick up two kids to take them to the dentists office, then return them. Got home in time for day care kids that didn’t show (they are hit with the cold that’s going around) and then get son to his job. I barely catch my breath and my kids get off the bus. They are home long enough to grab a snack while I mugged them for their backpacks. Then, it’s all four of the girls in the car while we went to drop off one at the tutor’s, another to her piano lesson, drove around looking for a bathroom for the third (while the fourth one slept in the car). Once that is done we are back making the rounds for the return trip in picking them all up and drop them off at home so that they can start eating Chili for dinner (which I had cooking all day knowing that today would be a zoo). While they were eating, I ran to pick up son and drop him off in town for some band battle he wanted to go to. When I came back, it was time to start the bedtime routine, do dishes, find the floor and start the one who went to the tutor’s on her homework while we changed bed linens for the one who slept in the car. Two hours later, they are fed, clean, brushed, prayed with and finishing up homework and I realize that Bill still won’t be home for another several hours.

In years past, I would spend a great deal of time in instant messaging with friends in order to get past this lonely time of year. But the Day care is keeping me busy, too busy to sit and chat. The kids are spending a great deal of time in the car in the evenings (something new this year), and I realize just how tired and lonely I am when the girls are finally down for the evening.

So, rather than crying about it and making myself feel worse, I think I will go ahead and post this, then finish the half dozen projects I have open on my (still dirty) desk top. Maybe if I am lucky, I will catch someone online and we can chat while I do that.

Thanks for keeping me company while I rambled about my day.

No comments: