Monday, June 02, 2014

Flattery

In their own eyes they flatter themselves too much to detect or hate their own sin.
Psalm 36:2

 It's so easy to read verses like this and think that it applies to someone else.  But I will tell you this, every time I make excuses or justify my own sin, I have my focus on something else that I thought I was doing well or was blameless of.

Sometimes I am aware I am doing it and it feels hollow.

 But I am shocked at how often this seemingly contrived response to sin happens without my conscious choosing of it. It is a defense mechanism that roots itself itself in my flesh to avoid having to look at it square.

Without the word of truth to light up the lie I would be so much more self deluded than I am. So *raises coffee cup in a cheer* here is to looking intently into the Word and asking the Holy Spirit to continually convict and give us the courage to look at ourselves square on. *clink*

No comments: