Saturday, June 21, 2014

But As For Me Psalm 59:16-17


But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress.O my strength, I will sing praises to You; For God is my stronghold, the God who shows me lovingkindness.PSALMS 59:16-17 NASB


As is often the case in the Psalms this song starts out with vitriol against those who "wait in ambush for his life". and then here in verse 16 (as so many of them do) it changes gears and says "but as for me" and it gives all the opposite emotions of ardor, trust and even joy.

Never once does the Psalmist blame God for the hard thing in their life. They don't throw out to God that he could have stopped the evil thing if he'd only loved him enough.

How vastly different we respond to terror than so many of the psalmists.  Isn't our first reaction to bad things to blame someone else, especially God, who is supposed to be in control of everything?

Reading the psalms over and over I see the pattern that we are supposed to follow while in distress.  God is very interested in what our troubles are, and invites us to spill them to Him.  What the Holy Spirit inspired scripture presents to us is a way to cope through the struggle by trusting Him even when we are under persecution.

Lord, help me to cast my disquiet and fear at your feet without blaming you for my lot. Teach me joy when things look bleak. Teach me to take refuge with you instead of fighting my own battles.

No comments: