Monday, November 07, 2005

Hard Day

What do you do with your hard days?


Monday, November 07, 2005

Today was a hard day. I had an infant who just wanted mommy. He is nursed and wouldn’t take a bottle. If he were hungry enough I believe he would take that bottle just fine… but mostly he was mad. So he cried… for a long time. Everyone’s nerves were stretched until he finally fell asleep. Then it was time to start the evening routine with my own kids. That means homework and dinner and oh so many of those little things… Today, before I start dinner (while Bill came home and rescued me by taking the one with homework up stairs) I wanted to sit and just collect myself and remember why I do what I do.

My nerves are shot, my kids are reacting off the stress and then in walks my husband to chaos. This little one isn’t sleeping soundly and will wake up soon, so my time here with you is limited. But I raised a question. Why do I do what I do? What’s the most important thing? It’s so easy to get lost in the shuffle of the everyday, you know; where you deal with the loudest thing instead of the most important thing. How do sort priorities when the world and it’s distractions are shouting at you… or in my case, crying at me.

*deep breath*

I am glad I have a refuge, a quiet place in Christ. I am glad that he gently leads me. Today I need his gentleness.

3 comments:

cary said...

What do I do with my hard days?

I remember that I am here to His bidding, to exemplify Him through my work, the work that He has blessed me with. I remember that above all else, no matter what happens, no matter what the circumstances, one way or the other it's going to turn out. Good? Bad? Doesn't matter - those are our yardsticks. It turns out, and the world goes on, and the alarm clock yells again at omygoodneesitsearly:thirty, and you get up and you go about the Lord's work again. As long as you remember to stop and praise Him for all the things in your life (even a screaming baby, my how that child can holler! Thank God he has the power in his lings...) He will remember to bless you for being a blessing.

You and yours are on a secret prayer list - I can't tell you whose.

In His name, and with all His love -

cary said...

Lungs. I meant lungs.

Anonymous said...

In this age of human turmoil-all ages are :)-that child's cries echo down through history joining a large choir of anger, frustration, irritation and want.

We daily deliver Christ our feast of woes, thanks, petitions and gratitude seeking peace and understanding. Usually we grab that rather large platter back before it can be emptied.

Fortunately, Christ is quicker than we are, and we only think we got it back full of our woes. In actuality he has allowed us an even bigger plate full of solutions, if we will but look.

Rom 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Gal 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."