Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Spring Break

This is spring break for my kids and I just haven’t been in front of the computer as much this week. So if you have been wondering where I am, well there you go.

Yesterday we went to the zoo, three other mothers and me. This group had large families like I do. Now, I like the zoo. I like that you can spend a day in the sunshine, get pictures of the kids, frozen moments in time. But almost always, someone gets lost. Never for long, usually it’s because one child or another either ran on to the next exhibit in their enthusiasm or assumed with the group when we did move on. Always we have a near scare. I started to hyperventilate when I added it up and realized that there were 18 children. In fact, if you had told me that I could go to the zoo with 18 children and not loose anyone AND have a great time I would’a said you were nuts. But we did have a wonderful time… and I did get some fun pictures.

On another note, I have been having some health issues that have started to concern me. In the past, I have had heart palpitations or irregularities. It’s like my heart would stumble around for a few beats, find it’s rhythm again and then would be fine. It never hurt, it always passed and then I wouldn’t have an episode again for a long while.

This month, it’s been happening every day. Usually there wasn’t any pain, just that curious sensation of stumbling or speeding up, short of breath, like I’d been running when I was just sitting there. Occasionally in this last month, I would get a tightness or pressure in my chest, usually during stressful situations. At this, I told my husband about them. He was worried and told me to see a doctor. I haven’t yet. I am chicken and afraid of what they will say. It’s easier to say “I have daycare kids coming.” Of course, I just blocked out a day to take my own kids to the zoo, shouldn’t this heart thingy be more important?

Ya think?

Now ask me if I have done it yet.

*sigh*

I did look up my symptoms in this big medical book and I think I may be reacting to too much caffeine. So, I am going to lay off the coffee and diet coke, eat more bananas for my electrolytes, and see if that makes a difference.

2 comments:

Dana said...

You know, I had those same symptoms a few years ago. The doc also told me to lay off caffeine, but he said I had mitral valve prolapse. It wasn't dangerous, and I don't even take meds for it anymore, except when I have to go to the dentist. Good luck!

Earl said...

Check out the symptoms of premature atrial contractions at webmd. It's good you've made an appointment to get it checked out.If it is potassium related, try a banana or baked potato as a natural supplement. It worked for me.