Thursday, December 11, 2014

You Thought I Was Just Like You

"These things you have done and I kept silence; You thought that I was just like you; I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.PSALMS 50:21 NASB
 "...you thought I was just like you." Wow... the truth of that statement keeps hitting me fresh, it's not the first time I've read it and it's not a new concept for me, it's just that it never looses it's punch.

Michael Card wrote in one of his songs "We've made you in our image so our faith is idolatry." that was the first time I'd come across the concept and it rocked me then. Here I am a quarter century later and that truth still challenges me.

Sin... our pride makes us so myopic and self serving. And even now as I use that distancing language to separate myself from it I know that my flesh and the desires I have battle for the wheel and for control. Every. Single. Moment. And I wonder why He bothers with us, I get whelmed with the struggle to contend with my own spirit, to bring it under his head ship and discipline my body and it's drives. It is too much - and I can't even do that without his help. How is it possible that can He engage all of us and never seem to tire with our selfishness?

The Lord is patient with us to withhold His wrath so long, he has such grace and mercy... but in the wake of his kindness, there are those who take his silence for what it is not.

In my mind I see his wrath held back like the walls of the Red Sea. The passage is temporary and dry ground is our gift of grace to give us the chance to see the wonder and the consequences in time to make choices.

Lord, today I ask you to help me be aware of the choices I have in connection with the sin of pride. I don't want to assume you are like me in your silence. Help me hear you speak into the quiet and remind me that you are remaking me and I cannot remake you to suit my own comfort. I ask that you discipline me to serve you and not myself.

No comments: