Friday, November 15, 2013

A Good Report


A Good Report 

1 Thessalonians Chapter 3 

Scripture: 
But Timothy has just now come to us from you and has brought good news about your faith and love. He has told us that you always have pleasant memories of us and that you long to see us, just as we also long to see you. Therefore, brothers and sisters, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith. (1 Thes. 3:6-7) 

Observation: 
Acts 17:1-10 give us a timeline and framework to put this letter that Paul writes.  He's travelled to Thessalonica  the city for a few weeks, going first to the synagogue and stirring things up over there by effectively witnessing and converting a lot of prominent people of influence and power within the Jewish community.  This gets the notice of the Jewish leaders there and in the course of those weeks he plants a new church while staying with Jason.  Who, by the way, gets hauled out and nearly mobbed for his guilt by association!  They arrest him and later release him on bond.  Meanwhile, Paul leaves town in a hurry where he goes to the Berean Synagogue and starts all over again.   

All this time though he's troubledworried about the state that he's left the struggling new church - even though he told them to expect persecution.  Are they still faithful to the teaching?  Have they slipped back into old ways?  Have others come behind Paul and tried to stamp out the good news and pervert it?  How are his new "children"?  Are they safe? 

So he sends Timothy to find out.  This letter is in response to the news Timothy brings him from that visit.  And it's good news.  They are still thriving through the persecution that he warned them would come. 

Application: 
The application today is obvious.  How are you holding up in your faith?  Are you stunted in your growth, stumbling?  Trapped by your fears? Worn down by cares?  Too busy to hear Him?  What message would someone take back about us?  Are we fruitful and effective? 

I confess that I too often let fear, worry and stress of worldly things paralyze me.  That misplaced fear, twists my actions, fuels my justifications and leaves me empty of the power that comes from trusting in Him. 

I urge you to spend some time today, confessing the things that keep you from growing.  "Perfect Love casts our fear"  "Do not be afraid"  "Cast your cares on him, because he cares for you"  and for the busyness in us all, "Be still and know that I am God." 

Prayer: 
Lord, help me turn to you instead of my own resources.  Help me keep your perspective as I navigate my day.  I really want the report at the end of my life to be "Well done thou good and faithful servant." 

No comments: