Friday, July 05, 2013

The Centurion's Faith

Luke Chapter 7 

Scripture: 
For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”  
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”  Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.  (Luke 7:8-10) 

Observation: 
This is the only time recorded in the bible where it says Jesus is amazed about another's faith, that he hasn't found a greater in all of Israel.  That included his disciples, his parents and even his cousin, John the Baptist.  That's a pretty bold statement! 

This made me sit up and look a little closer.  What could he have meant by this declaration?  What made this centurion different?  Could it be that the crowds and disciples following him all had clouded agendas, without really understanding who he really was?  The centurion saw clearly that he was sent from God and only did what He told him to do.   

Jesus was concerned that those who followed him would want to make him their "war king" and deliver them from the Romans, or a "good teacher"  some even followed him for the miracles he could do, or the possibility of his healing them from their afflictions - all of those versions of who Jesus was, depended on what he could do for them and weren't about the reason God sent him at all.  Remember the times Jesus asked: "Who do the people say I am?"  "Who do you say I am?"  He was very worried that the people would lose sight of who he really was, that they would be distracted by all the things he could do. 

And in the middle of this intense teaching time, trying to get the people to understand that he wasn't who they thought he was, but something bigger and better - in walks the gentile enemy, who astounds Jesus with his clarity.  His faith wasn't centered in what Jesus could do for him (though he had a need that brought him) but rather, his faith was grounded in the God who sent him, and held all the authority and power.  Astounding! 

I once heard a line from a movie that said "It doesn't matter what you believe, just as long as you believe."   I've seen enough "coexist" bumper stickers on the road to see that many people have adopted this attitude of "just believe." 

Application: 
Who do you say Jesus is?  Do your actions, reflect this belief?   

Prayer: 
Father forgive me for coming to you with my own agendas, wanting you to do things for me.  Help me remember that it's not about me, but about you.  Let me see you clearly, as the centurion did.  Amen 

1 comment:

Cliff said...

What I love about that question that Jesus asked Peter, "Who do others say I am? Who do you say I am?" Is that there's a right answer. Jesus wasn't leaving it open for interpretation he was asking if Peter understood rightly. Peter did understand and it was the Holy Spirit that showed him the answer. I appreciate that because it's a sure foundation to stand on instead of the squishy, relative, uncertain "just believe", like you said. Thanks for the post!