Friday, June 07, 2013

"Why Does God Send People to Hell"


Ephesians Chapter 2 

Scripture: 
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  (Eph. 1-10) 

Observation: 
I have a group of accountability partners who look over what I write before I send it the Scio JournalI asked them to pray for me today that I would find and write the things that the Spirit directed.  I said after reading the chapter that I wanted to address the misconception that most people have about salvation in thinking that they can get to heaven if they are just good enough.  I told them that I planned to title it "Why Does God Send People to Hell?" as my provocative opener.  I got back a comment that was so eloquently said that I asked permission to use it for today.  I figured that the Spirit spoke through her today instead of me, so why not step out of the way.  She agreed, and the following quote is the content of her comment. 

Quote: 
The strength of this chapter for me has always been the focus on Peace. The Peace that Christ brings between man and God (through His death) so that we can become who we were originally created to be.   

(15b-16) His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, (16) and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. So that (22) And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit, 
(10) For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. 

Paul specifically relates it to Jew and Gentile (see vs 11-13), but I’ve always related it back to the top section (vs1-3) and seen it as also bringing peace between our two natures . . . not that our sinful nature loses its influence over us. . .but that through Christ we have the power to put it to death, to choose wisely, to choose HIM. The closer we crowd to Christ, the louder His voice/nature is and the more we can silence our sinful nature, thereby experiencing peace with God through His grace. 

A God who desires Peace with us, who has created good works for us, who desires fellowship would never “send sinners to hell”. I remember the Matthew 25 passage on sheep and goats. It’s vs. 41 that reminds me 41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.'"  

Hell wasn’t created for us . . . it was created for Satan and all who would follow him in rebellion to God. . . . 

Prayer: 
Lord, for so long I had it backwards, thinking that I was born basically good and my bad behavior was what sent me to hell.  Going to hell isn't about what we do, it never was.  We were born ALREADY separated from you. Going to hell is not a choice you make for us, but one we make ourselves, to follow you or not.   Being saved from hell is about knowing you, accepting what you did for us on the cross and letting that love transform us so completely that it spills out thereafter into everything we do.  We are literally re created inside so that we become an instrument for you to use for good. Lord, help me conquer my sinful nature, help me crowd close to you so I can hear your voice and follow it. 

No comments: