Friday, May 24, 2013

Things That Cannot Be Taken Away



Romans Chapter 8 

Scripture: 
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (Romans 8:38-39) 

Observation: 
I recently went to the memorial service of a man who had been a teacher.  One of the men who spoke for him (being a teacher as well) gave a pop quiz to the congregation.  "What is the one thing that cannot be taken away from you?" He asked.  His answer was "Education".  Other's might have answered with "Experiences"  "Things you've already given away"  or "Memories".  My first gut-reaction answer when I responded to the quiz was "Love".  You might have come up with something else if you'd been sitting in the pew with me.  But it got me thinking about what sorts of things CAN be taken from me.  My family, my comfort, my health, even my memories can be taken by Alzheimer's...  

Our text today is from Romans and Paul has just had a discourse on the struggle inside of us between our desire to do good, and the sinful nature that we must always battle while we live in the body.  He ends Chapter 8 with this promise - that nothing can separate us from the love of God.   

The Holy Spirit is so twined within me that even if I lose my family, my stuff, my mind, or my life, I am safely held in his hands.   

Can you not see the wonder in this?  The amazing tenacity of a God who created us and clutches us through all other losses we may suffer, so that we are never left abandoned and alone?  In a world where everything dies or is corrupted, he's created a way to hold on to us when we can no longer do any of the holding ourselves.  I've "been his" for over 30 years now and this single, powerful, truth has me in tears of thankfulness as I write these words.   

Application / Prayer: 
Father, I pray that you train me to see the world and it's value through your eyes instead of my own.  Help me to build faith in my children over any other good thing that can be taken way.  I praise you for you tenacious, stubborn love that will not let me go.  Amen.

No comments: