Friday, May 17, 2013

Conscious of Sin



Romans Chapter 3 

Scripture: 
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.(Rom. 3:19-24 NIV) 

Observation: 
There is so much here in just the five verses I pulled from the chapter to talk about, that it's difficult to choose the right size bite for the time and space that we have.  Usually I use the "observation" section to give you an overview and orient you to the train of thought I'm on.  I've type and erased several paragraphs that all take on more than I can digest for you in the space we have.  So, instead of doing that I'm trying something new: I want to ponder three words from this section, put them in context, and leave you with somethings to chew on. 

The three words are "Conscious of Sin" 

The bible says that we can't be saved through the law, but it was given to us so that we would recognize sin when we saw it.  The King James Version says: " for by the law is the knowledge of sin".  The Amplified Bible unwraps the intent behind the knowledge of sin " For [the real function of] the Law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character]." 

Application: 
As promised here are some verses for you to chew on.  I urge you to read them and put them in context - test me!   


Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you.  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; (John 16:7-9) 

I see a growing trend in our nation and in our churches to excuse, redefine, or otherwise minimize sin.  The problem is that when we purposely ignore our sin, we are in danger of being "given over to it" and the Holy Spirit no longer strives to convict us. The Message paraphrases it this way only  a few chapters back: 

"Since they didn't bother to acknowledge God, God quit bothering them and let them run loose. And then all hell broke loose: rampant evil, grabbing and grasping, vicious backstabbing. They made life hell on earth with their envy, wanton killing, bickering, and cheating. Look at them: mean-spirited, venomous, fork-tongued God-bashers. Bullies, swaggerers, insufferable windbags! They keep inventing new ways of wrecking lives. They ditch their parents when they get in the way. Stupid, slimy, cruel, cold-blooded. And it's not as if they don't know better. They know perfectly well they're spitting in God's face. And they don't care—worse, they hand out prizes to those who do the worst things best!"  (Rom. 1:28-32) 

Now go one chapter forward to Romans 2:14-16 (The Message version) 

When outsiders who have never heard of God's law follow it more or less by instinct, they confirm its truth by their obedience. They show that God's law is not something alien, imposed on us from without, but woven into the very fabric of our creation. There is something deep within them that echoes God's yes and no, right and wrong. Their response to God's yes and no will become public knowledge on the day God makes his final decision about every man and woman. The Message from God that I proclaim through Jesus Christ takes into account all these differences. 

There is something important that happens inside of us when we acknowledge our sin for what it is.  When we take ownership of our actions and their consequences, then throw ourselves on God's mercy, it restores us and makes us clean.    Here is a list of verses to chew on while you think about it. 


Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. (Proverbs 28:13) 


Have mercy on me, O God, according to your loving kindness: according to the multitude of your tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. (Psalm 51:2-3) 

Prayer: 
Lord, I cling to your promise found in 1st John 1:9 that if we confess our sins you are faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  I pray that you give courage to those reading today and myself.  We need to look hard at the sins we have been hiding, justifying, or redefining.  I pray that you draw us into a closer relationship where we can trust you to care for and heal us. Amen 

No comments: