Friday, April 26, 2013

Signs




Scripture:
1 The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’  You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.”  Jesus then left them and went away.

Observation:
This is the second time in Matthew that the Pharisees and Sadducees had come to Jesus asking for a sign.  He refers to the sign of Jonah… again.  The first time was only a few chapters back in Matthew 12:38-45.  Go read it.  I’ll wait. 

Back?  In this exchange, he’s not being cryptic with them, he’s simply telling them “The answer hasn’t changed”.  Jonah was a prophet and God had sent him on a journey to speak to the capitol city of the Assyrian nation, Nineveh.  Nimrod founded Nineveh after the fall of Babylon, a city characterized by people who (like their leader) had turned violently from God.  Jonah, knowing how wicked they were, didn’t want to go.  You can read that story in the book of Jonah. 

So what was it that Jesus was really saying to the Pharisees? A couple of things:  First of all, he’s chastising them for demanding a sign.  Chapter 12 says that Nineveh’s generation will rise up on judgment of them.  Why? Because they believed without signs and wonders, and repented on the strength of Jonah’s preaching alone.  Jesus told them clearly that he was even greater than Jonah or Elijah and still they demanded a sign, as though he were a trained monkey to perform on command!  Secondly, it was a prophesy of his death and resurrection.  Just as Jonah was three days in the belly of a whale, so would he be three days in the ground and then rise.

Application:
When I read this, I can’t help but think how many times I too have wished for proof or a miracle.  Granted, my motivations were different than those of the Pharisees, but I still desire to know that He is working in my life. 

In my inner ear I can hear Jesus speaking to Thomas (John 20:29) “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

It boils down to faith, doesn’t it? 

I get so much comfort from knowing that Jesus peeked through time and saw you and me, in our moments of crisis.  John 17:20-21, after he prayed for the disciples he also prays for us: “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” 

Prayer:
Father God, I praise you for the Holy Spirit that bears testimony of your presence, the helper you sent who confirms your truth.  I pray for those who read this today who struggle with their faith.  I ask that you meet them where they are, and reveal yourself to them.  Amen.



1 comment:

Deanna said...

Join the conversation on this post here: https://www.facebook.com/sciocommunity?hc_location=timeline