Friday, April 05, 2013

God with Us




Scripture:
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” – which means, “God with us.” (Matt. 1:22-23)

Observation:
I can’t help when I read this verse to sit in Christmas mode, and it gets locked into a seasonal message.  So, pardon my dust a moment as I remodel this room in my mind, the walls need to push out, and I have to put the Christmas ornaments back into their box.

What does it really mean for God to “be with us”?  It’s one of the oldest and most common Christian greetings that we have: “the Lord be with you.” 

Off the top of my head I can trace through the bible many places where this phrase is used.  This is not an exhaustive list – check a concordance for a complete one.  But I can immediately reach for where he said he would be with Moses, he assured his successor, Joshua, that he’d be with him.  He called Mary “favored one” and “the Lord is with you” and in John 16:32 Jesus says “I am not alone, he who sent me is with me”.  Then Jesus tells us that he must go so that the Comforter can come to be with us.  Then later, after he’s died and risen again, before he leaves the earth in the ascension, he gives the great commission for ALL believers to make disciples, leaving us with the promise that he would be with us always, even unto the end of the age.

In all those examples that come to mind, each of those people were given a job to do.  Chosen; selected for a purpose in a place and time to accomplish the next step of His plan. 

And that includes us. 

Application:
I suppose the logical step from the last thought is to this one is: Is He with you?  Are you fulfilling the great commission?  He has a plan, he’s with you to move the story (his story) forward.  He’s not with you to make you feel safe or good. 

I confess that in my life I have had times when I’ve wanted a Christmas Box version of him “being with me”.  A talisman I can hold on to like a comfort toy, something that makes me feel safe.  But he’s not a stationary idea.  He is a living presence that calls us to move and to act, often in uncomfortable ways that forces us out of our comfort zones.  He might not be calling you to part the waters, bear his son, or deliver his people from sin; but he does call you to make disciples. 

So, are you reaching for opportunities to know your neighbor, and introduce them to the gospel?  Do you bear one another’s burdens, admonish, and encourage one another?  Are you training your children?  Have you ever held anyone accountable; restored anyone to the faith with gentleness?  All of these things fall under disciple making, and are the reason he is with us.

Prayer:
Lord, give me the courage to go out of my comfort zone.  I like feeling safe, I like feeling in control, and I like having my own way.  What you ask of me is hard.  In fact, what you ask is impossible for me to do out of my own goodness or strength.  It’s why I need you to be with me.  Amen.

No comments: