Saturday, August 04, 2012

Purging Idols

Prayer Focus: Kenya, Kiribati
Scripture:
Tell the king of Judah, who sent you to inquire of the Lord, 'This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the words you heard: Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people—that they would become a curset and be laid waste—and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I also have heard you, declares the Lord. (2 Kings 22:18-19)
Observation:
The OT story we just read shows the uncovering of the book of the law from the temple that the previous king, Manasseh, desecrated.  At this time Josiah ruled, a king of whom the bible says  "He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and followed completely the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left." His response to finding the law was to gather all the people together to hear the law of the Lord read aloud.
After hearing how far off they were from what God's law commanded, he wept and tore his clothes in distress.  Further, he went on to clean out all traces of idol worship in their temple, their land, and their homes.   He also reinstated the observance of Passover; something that no king had done since the time of Samuel.  Even though the wrath of God was coming, he spared Josiah from having to see it in his lifetime.
Today, the temple (the place where God dwells) is in our own hearts.  Like Josiah of his time, God desires to show mercy to us when we turn from evil and follow Him.
Application:
I challenge you to look in your life for areas where the world has encroached and you've let the idols of this age have more of your time, energy or talent than you should.  If you find that you have; purge them from your life, and get back into the Word (his law) where the truth is found!
Prayer:
LORD, search me and know me.  Speak into my life and show me what has become as an idol to me.  I want my heart, clean.  I want you at home with me so that I can obey with gladness.  Give me the courage to look where you point, purge where I should, and embrace what you have for me!

No comments: