Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mantle

Mantle


Prayer Focus: India
Bible Reading: 2 Kings 1-4

Scripture
9 When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?"
"Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.
10 "You have asked a difficult thing," Elijah said, "yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not."
11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.12 Elisha saw this and cried out, "My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!" And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his garment and tore it in two.
13 Elisha then picked up Elijah's cloak that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. (2 Kings 2:9-13)


Observation
Elisha asked for a double portion of the gift - and got it.  He went on to do many miracles, proving that he indeed had Elijah's mantle.  The Holy Spirit transfers twice the power and effectiveness from Elijah to Elisha after Elijah is taken by the Lord. The bible goes on to record twice as many miracles for Elisha. 

Application
 When I let my imagination sit here in this place and time I wonder what sorts of things went through Elisha's mind that provoked his request.  We don't have a peek into his thoughts, only what he did with the power once granted.  I encourage you to go to today's reading and see what that was.
The take-away that I have with today's reading is simple: What has the Holy Spirit gifted us as Jesus was taken up into heaven?  To find the answer to that, go to mark 16:15 where Jesus tells his disciples "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."

Prayer
Lord, give me the courage to be bold, to proclaim your word as I ought.  Your word promises gifts of your Spirit to enable me to do this.  Help me reach for them, help me reach for you!

No comments: