Friday, July 13, 2012

Judgement

Prayer Focus: Haiti

Bible Reading: Isaiah 13-17

Scripture:

Listen, a noise on the mountains,
like that of a great multitude!
Listen, an uproar among the kingdoms,
like nations massing together!
The Lord Almighty is mustering
an army for war. (Isaiah 13:4)

Observation:

The scripture reading for today details the judgement against Babylon, Moab and Damascus.

There is a movement among us as believers that wants to see only the friendly side of God. The tolerant side, the one that doesn't judge and is ever patient with us. Even now, when searching for what to say to you here, I want to find the rainbow, the happy place to take you and boost you in his love before you go on your way. But this is a side to God we must look at.

I urge you to spend time with a reference book or a google engine researching what these nations were like. Put God's wrath in the context of the people who lived there and the sins they were committing in that time. I've typed and erased several attempts to explain why God's intervention in this way was necessary, but it always goes outside of the scope of this short devotional. I will say though, that God's judgment to Israel and to the surrounding Nations was a rescue. The result was the prophesy of the Messiah, comfort that God would redeem his people. He would not abandon them! The judgements and exile would, in the end, restore their faith as a nation, and prove to the Gentiles that He was the Lord God.

Application:

My take-away from this is to look more closely at my life. What sins have I allowed in my life thinking that they weren't so bad? Where do I justify my actions to suit my needs? Where am I compromising? Do I live my life today as though there will be an accounting of my choices?

I have lots of questions that I am going to take with me into my prayer closet.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to fear you as I ought, help me turn my eyes to you. There is a verse in chapter 17 of our reading, verse 7, I will end my devotion with your words breathed as a prayer "In that day people will look to their Maker and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.. "

No comments: