Friday, May 18, 2012

Yours

Prayer Focus: Estonia

Bible Reading: 1 Chronicles 27-29, Psalm 68

Scripture

11 Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power
and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
Yours, Lord, is the kingdom;
you are exalted as head over all.

12 Wealth and honor come from you;
you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power
to exalt and give strength to all.

13 Now, our God, we give you thanks,
and praise your glorious name.

(1 Chronicles 29:11-13)

Observation

David had just used the national stores to help build the temple, plus his own private wealth, and then encouraged the people to give generously too; and they responded! The scripture verse above is the prayer of thanksgiving that David offered after they raised all the funds to build and outfit the new temple.

Application

I don’t know about you, but I find myself reminding God about his wealth and power right about the time I need to borrow some of it for my own purposes or when I’d like him to help out someone I love or am praying for. For the record, I hate/love when I’m spanked with self revelation like that. Uncomfortable as it is, it usually leads me to growth – though it’s painful in the admission.

David, HAD all the wealth and power-and that was the moment he reminded God it was his: as he was offering back to Him from his own storehouse. I can’t help but remember all the times I have done it backward.

Luke 16:11 says “So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?”

Prayer

Father, while you may own the cattle on a thousand hills, I pray that you give me the faith that lets me leave it all on the field for you. I don’t want to hold back for myself, or play head games trying to manipulate you into doing my will with your resources. I want you to be pleased with me.

Amen!

No comments: