Thursday, June 23, 2005

On reading and writing

Today the votes close on the challenge at the NoteBored. I am excited because I seem to be doing well and getting votes. *yay!* I will open a reveal thread on the bbs and let everyone admit to which story was theirs.

Today I am working on a short story that was written maybe 6 months ago. (I’d have to check the creation date on it to be sure) It deals with abuse and it’s unsettling. Every time I go to polish it to get it off my desk and out the door, my eyes slide right off of it and I find something else to do that “needs” to be done. Avoidance! Plus, there is that nasty little niggling of where to send it. I don’t know of any editors who are interested in this type of story. I have put out a call of help to the community of writers I hang out with, it could be that I will find someone who can help aim my submission.

Today is the 4th day of VBS, the skits seem to be working well and though I have the largest group of kids in my “class” they are not unmanageable and seem to respond to my leadership just fine. It’s going well.

I am also reading two books these days: Shattered Dreams by Larry Crabb and Tricksters Queen by Tamora Pierce; an instructional Christian book and a young adult fantasy. I also have this nice stack of Sci Fi mags (Asimov and Analog) that I was given by a friend to read. I have at least two of them in progress. I love to read longer stories, but I find that I write more short fiction than anything else. So, it’s very good to read the stories that “made the cut” for the magazines I want to submit to. I still have a ways to go before my fiction is ready for those publications, but I will keep aiming myself there.

Well, I am off to work on “Burn” and no more procrastinating. I think it is time to finish the polish on that story and get it out the door. Thanks for tagging along with me today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what 'avoidance' can be like. Gotta find a space where you'll not be tempted by distractions, which isn't always easy. Good luck with your story; I know you can write well.