Friday, October 11, 2013

God's Bonsai Tree



1st Peter Chapter 4 


Scripture: 
Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?  (1 Peter 4:12-17) 

Observation: 
Every time in the past when I'd read this verse I'd always thought that it didn't really apply to me.  Suffer? I haven't suffered!  Not like the apostles did during the diaspora.  Not like the martyrs in other countries who go to jail and are killed for their faith. 

But today, this chapter hits me when I am struggling with just how different my life is through Christ,  from the dysfunction of the family I'd been raised in.  I won't go into the details (I'm sure you can supply ample variations from your own.)  But THAT’S the point I want to get to for you today.  Give yourself a moment to reflect on your life.  What areas of your life are changed because you've said "yes" to God and "no" to the world?   

If you don't have any spiritual  conflict at all, then you may want to look closely at the quality of the commitment you've made to God.  If you are doing it right, parts of your sinful self should be hitting the pruning floor, like God's bonsai tree. 


Application: 
The application will look different for each of us.  Are you not currently facing conflict for living the Christ-life we are called to live?  Then maybe you need to reach out to your community and shine your light in the dark.  

 Or maybe you need to examine how deep you've chosen to be with Christ and you might need to go "all in" and submit to the pruning shears so the gardener can remove the sin in your life.   

Or maybe you are like me, struggling with relationships that are destructive and you have to let go of your own hurt, forgive them, and figure out what it looks like in your situation to love God first and then your neighbor (or family).    

Prayer: 
 Lord, I'm still working on the rejoicing part.  Today I'm not feeling it.  My head knows it, my heart really wants to experience it, and the act of speaking it does help my head and heart reconnect to you. I am not ashamed of being yours, and I am glad that you've redeemed me from the life I would have lead without you.  Judge my heart and my intentions, Father.  Prune the selfishness from me.   I pray you use that supernatural power that comes from being attached to you and your glory, and shine through me in my brokenness and hurt into my family, my neighbors, who need forgiveness and healing.  Please do a work inside of me, a healing of me, so that you can then work through me to heal the world. Amen. 

No comments: