Friday, October 26, 2012

The Plan


Prayer Focus: Slovakia
Scripture:
31 Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, “We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. 32 He will be delivered over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him and spit on him;33 they will flog him and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.” 34 The disciples did not understand any of this. Its meaning was hidden from them, and they did not know what he was talking about. 35 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. 36 When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” 38 He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 39 Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”40 Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, 41“What do you want me to do for you?”“Lord, I want to see,” he replied.42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” 43 Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God. (Luke 18:1-43)
Observation:
I've always seen this passage metaphorically as the huddle before the last play.  Jesus calls his disciples over and quietly gives them a heads up on what's going to happen next.  He doesn't want them caught unaware.  Even so, even after explaining it by the numbers, they didn't get it.  The bible says that "the meaning was hidden from them" but when the events of the week unfold and they went over the order of events this moment returned to them (and thus are available for us).
I wonder if this frustrated him, that they didn't get it.  Lots of other scripture in other places give us glimpses into Jesus's frustration with their lack of understanding in general, though it's not specifically mentioned in this passage.  Instead, Jesus keeps his thoughts (disappointment?) to himself and continues his walk toward Jerusalem.
As he passes by Jericho, on the roadside is a beggar, forced to those circumstances by blindness.  He hears the others  talking.  He knows this man called Jesus!  He knows not only who he is by reputation, but also what his destiny is!  He knows what scripture  and prophesy has to say about "The Son of David",  and in the crowd, he calls out "Jesus!  Son of David!"  They try to shush him, but he just yells louder!  He's excited!  Here is the man he has wanted to see with his own eyes,  the man who can heal him.  Change him.
Just as Jesus is passing by and wondering if he's had enough time to impart wisdom and truth to his disciples, he hears this voice in the crowd.  Just as he's wondering  "would they ever get it?" there is a man who blindly sees what his disciples have missed.  Jesus stops in his tracks and locks on to this poor begging man and asks "What would you have me do?"
Application:
I can't help but wonder how often Jesus feels this way about me.  I so often don't get it.  I forget what his big plan really is, cause I get caught up in my own little dramas.  I'm distracted by the by plays that happen on the sidelines or in the bleachers.
I'm grateful that he still does miracles, heals people in front of me.  He reminds me that he has a plan, that even death doesn't stop Him from it.
Prayer:
Lord, may I not be like the ones on the side of the road, squelching and shushing others from coming to you.  Thank you for striving with me, being patent with me while I learn and grow.  And Lord, I especially pray for those who come to you for healing.  Nothing is impossible for you!  Amen!

No comments: