Friday, June 08, 2012

Self Control

Prayer Focus: Guatemala


Scripture

Like a city whose walls are broken through
is a person who lacks self-control. (Proverbs 25:28)

Observation

For some versions of this verse the bible says “He that has no rule over his own spirit” instead of “self-control”. I like that. It cuts right to the chase, telling me that I need to lead my heart instead of it lead me. So much of our culture today is wrapped up in following our hearts and doing what feels good. The imagery of the breached city walls is a vivid description of being vulnerable to attack, the walls having first been breached from the inside out, from our own foolish behavior. Proverbs 28:26 says “He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.”

Application

I don’t think we spend much time guarding or leading our hearts. Oh we talk about salvation plenty. And God is the one who graciously does that for us. An act of mercy for us – the thing we couldn’t do for ourselves. (Eph. 2:8-10)

And so many stop there.

But the bible has made it pretty clear that he’s very interested in what we do after that.

Proverbs 4:23 says to keep your heart with all vigilance. Phil.4:6-7 says that the peace of God guards our hearts. Rom. 12:2 says not to be conformed, but to be transformed. Psalm 51:10 begs God to renew a right spirit. Luke 6:45 tells us that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

What we give permission for our hearts to dwell on or lust after… matters to God. When we allow un controlled thoughts to batter against the boundaries, the protections that keep us safe from the enemy, we run the risk of breaching the walls and opening ourselves up to attack.

Prayer

Father God, forgive me for the times I have stepped over the rules you set out to protect me! Galatians 5 says that self-control is a fruit of the spirit, I pray that you grow this fruit in me, help me to guard my heart with vigilance.

No comments: